Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Year Later

A year ago today I moved to Houston! It has been an amazing experience so far and I am so excited for this upcoming year because I will probably spend more weekends in Houston since we are not planning a wedding anymore! :)  I love Houston!


It is a wonderful city with so many things to do and so many people to meet! Adam and I have been so blessed with a group of amazing friends and we hope to continue growing those friendships and making new one as we continue living here!

I hope our friends back in San Antonio/Hill Country/ Lubbock/ DFW/ any other city a few of our friends may have ventured out to will not forget us! We hope to visit each and every one of you soon and you are always welcome to our little humble abode!

Now when I first moved here I spoke about some of the oddities that I was learning about Houston. One of the strangest things Houstonians do that I still do not understand why they do it is naming all the freeways! SERIOUSLY like I have lived here a year and have not learned all the crazy names! Lets go through the ones I know to help you out in case you ever want to come visit! :)
  • West part of I-10 = Katy Freeway
  • East part of I-10= East Freeway (these Houstonians are also very creative in their name making!)
  • Northern part of I-45 = North Freeway (told you!)
  • Southern part of I-45= Gulf Freeway
  • 610 Loop 
    • Northern part- North Loop
    • Southern part- South Loop
    • Eastern part- East Loop
    • Western part- West Loop
  • The Beltway 8 = Sam Houston Toll Road
  • Northern part of US 59 = Eastex Freeway (because you go to East Texas on this road haha)
  • Southern part of US 59 = Southwest Freeway
  • Hwy 99 = Grand Parkway
  • Northern part of 290 = Northwest Freeway
  • Southern part of 290 = I have no idea.. I have never heard the radio speak of this alleged part of town.
That's about as good of a Houstonian as I have become from decrypting listening to the gibberish traffic report. I may have struggled through a few though and looked them up in wikipedia! Apparently they are pretty smart with the Houston lingo and all..

Some of the roads that I know have names off the top of my head but have not learned yet is highway 288 and 225? Maybe next year folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment