Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Classy Move

So I never really intend to get political in my blog, I would much rather just show pictures of all the fun I get to have every blue moon! :) But this is my blog where I can document any comments, concerns, and/or ideas I may have at the moment! With that in mind, I just want to express how extremely proud I am of the actions and statements that the Suns and the NBA association have given with concerns to the new law in Arizona. (If you have not heard what they did  click here)

These are my short two cents on the matter. I was very saddened to hear about this law passing in Arizona. I believe it is a terrible way to handle the immigration problem! I understand that there is an immigration problem and something must be done about it in order to secure the U.S. borders. I have never been to Arizona so maybe I do not fully understand all the problems that may arise from illegal immigrants in their state. However, I do live in Texas which is another bordering state with Mexico. Most illegal immigrants are not coming to the U.S. to take advantage of U.S. programs or smuggle drugs into the U.S. Most of these immigrants are just fighting for a better life! Most of them pay taxes (whether it be in the form of sales tax, property taxes, and/or withholdings from their paychecks) but never file their taxes so they do not get any money back. They work extremely hard to make less than minimum wage most of the time but that is still more than they would ever make in Mexico.

I understand most people do not understand what is the big deal of showing I.D. and/or proof of legal residency. It's not the fact that they must show the I.D. to prove their legal status but the racial profiling involved with being able to uphold this new law in Arizona. I am sorry but they are not going to ask Mr. John Smith with blue eyes and blond hair driving his Toyota Prius speaking perfect English if he has his I.D. to prove his legal status. They are going to ask a dark haired, dark skinned, brown eyed man driving a beat up old car speaking English with an accent if he has his I.D. People say that it's not racial profiling but it is. What happens if that poor man is a legal resident but forgot his I.D. at home like many of us forget to carry our license with us sometimes. Depending on the cop, he may be sent to jail and deported without a second thought. When we forget our license, we get a ticket and we get to show our license in court and have the ticket dismissed. See the difference?

As an immigrant myself (a legal one of course) I have experienced how condescending cops can be on the border when you are labeled as an immigrant. Before I was naturalized, cops would ask us a billion questions on why did we go to Mexico etc etc. I understand that this is something they must do to protect the borders but sometimes it got ridiculous. I consider myself an asset to the U.S. I am educated, support myself (well by my mom for the most part right now but you catch my drift), have never gotten into any trouble with the law (minus one driving ticket ha),  and will probably be paying my fair share of taxes very soon (goodbye tax refunds). But I was still treated badly without much cause. After I have been naturalized, the cop asks us if we are a U.S. citizen we say yes. He stares at our passport and lets us pass! What a different experience and sigh of relief this has been!

Anyways my two short cents have turned into a long blog! All I want to say is I know a lot of my friends and/or people I know support this law without thinking twice of the implications arising from this law. And that is fine you are entitled to your own opinion as am I. A lot of people think of illegal immigrants as lazy people taking advantage of "our" government programs and/or dangerous people that are smuggling drugs and raping kids out on the streets. But that is not the case most of the time. These people are decent human beings that are fighting every day for the "American dream" and all that it has to offer. Isn't that what America is all about? The melting pot of immigrants that have worked very hard to achieve their dreams? These immigrants are your neighbors and your friends. The U.S. Borders need to be protected but at what cost?

Thank you Los Suns for your classy move. Besides that... Go Spurs Go! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment