Monday, March 8, 2010

I Promise to Get Off My Soapbox After This

Disclaimer: I do not believe in any way that I am an expert in politics. Everything I say take it with a grain of salt or just do not read it at all :)

SO.. I never really intended to make my blog be political at all.. basically so far I intend it to be a diversion from my CPA studies and to put pretty pictures up and just happy go lucky thoughts.. well and depressed thoughts of the CPA exam ha! BUT I have had conflicting thoughts over a political matter for the past couple of months and after seeing the article I say what the heck! (Sorry if I offend anyone that reads this.. and by anyone i mean the three friends of mine that I know look at this every blue moon :) )

The hot topic now a days... (well along with a million others but for some reason this is the only one that sticks so far to me...) UNEMPLOYMENT! Now I just finished studying for BEC a couple of weeks ago so I can tell you all the different forms of unemployment that are taken into consideration at this point and I would LOVE to see a breakdown of this when the news reports the unemployment rates (as in a yes I am an accounting and finance nerd). But basically for people that could care less to look into this subject ... unemployment consists of cyclical, structural, frictional, and seasonal unemployment. If you would like to know more of the differences in these, I refer you to wikipedia! (Because I don't want to bore you more than I already have.)

Okay so reason why I am going over this madness with you is this article. Now politically speaking, I usually consider myself much more middle of the road siding towards the liberal side with social issues( and by this I mean with helping out society as in some sort of help in healthcare, school, etc...) and conservative in aspects of business.. (as in yes I want to help people but NO government stay out of my business at the same time.) So basically I probably make NO sense and "want to have my cake and eat it too"!

Okay well as mentioned, I have most of the time agreed with the U.S. Government helping out people with unemployment, some sort of health care program, school grants etc. The reason for this is because although I understand some people probably take advantage of these programs.. others truly do need it! After living in Mexico and visiting NUMEROUS times.. I have seen what happens when the government doesn't really lend out a helping hand. Lots of really sad people in the streets begging for money, little kids working not going to school, etc etc.. It is really REALLY sad and it breaks my heart every time I see it. I wish I had enough money to make all these people have a decent life. But anyways I am getting off subject!

I am slightly ashamed to say this but after reading the article of Tom DeLay.. I actually partially agree. I know I am a hypocrite, not a good Christian, I am going to hell, didn't I just say I would love to help people out, etc etc.  BUT I only agree because I have personally seen/heard of people taking advantage of this program too many times. Am I saying that they would not gladly take a great job with awesome plans, benefits, and salary instead of living on unemployment.. No! But unemployment (I feel personally) has helped people become more picky about choosing their jobs. They will not take a job that pays a bit less than their last job when unemployment is going to pay them more! Now do I understand why these people are doing this? Of course! But do I personally agree with what they are doing? I do not think so.

I believe that people that decide to not take the job because they do not believe its the right amount of money, type of job, and/or benefits for them when they are unemployed kind of defeats the whole purpose of unemployment help. Now I believe that if you have a job and want to look for another one and be picky that is one thing! But you are taking advantage of the people if you choose to be unemployed. I am probably making no sense. But if you choose to be unemployed then you do not fit into the definition of unemployment! I promise you look it up!

Any thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment