Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup 2010- The Real Futbol :)

Tomorrow the World Cup starts! And none other than my wonderful Mexico team gets to play South Africa, the host nation! I have been looking forward to this World Cup for the past four years! In reality, it has probably been much longer. See one of my goals in life is to go to a World Cup where I can wear my Mexico jersey with pride and cheer along other Mexico fans while drinking tequila of course!

I always thought this would be my year when I could fulfill this goal.. but life got in the way like always.. See I figured I would be in college for four years.. get a job.. save up money.. and have tickets ready for the vacation of a lifetime! Well guess what happened? I decided to get two majors, a masters, and become a CPA.. so I start my big girl job this upcoming October! So much for having money to go to South Africa! I am okay with this path, obviously, because I chose it but darn it I better make it out to another World Cup or 2 in my lifetime! Maybe Brazil bound in 2014? Or maybe yet to be determined location 2018? Brazil would be so fun! However, I would enjoy a World Cup in Europe the best.. We shall see what happens! :)


This is usually about the time people tell me that I live in the U.S. and I should cheer for the U.S.! Do not get me wrong.. I hope the U.S. beats England but I cannot get passionate about U.S. soccer. Why? Well maybe because the rest of the nation is not really passionate about soccer or the team! The World Cup event in other nations is bigger than the Superbowl.. I don't even know what I can compare it to.. I feel like not even the Olympics gives it justice.. but maybe I am just weird. The Olympics are probably as good of a comparison as I can get.

I fondly remember the World Cup of 1994, my last one in Mexico and the U.S was the host country! The whole country of Mexico shuts down. I swear! I mean things happen but all around the World Cup.. we all watch the games on TV and cheer on Mexico.. Well until Mexico loses.. and then the whole country cheers for their respective favorite Latin American country of their choice until the finals. Then usually we just all cheer for Brazil or Argentina.. because lets be honest here.. we all know that if a Latin American country makes it to the finals it is usually one of them! :)



Watching the World Cup in the U.S has not been the same.. but let me tell you, I do not let that stop my excitement for the event! I will not watch the re-runs of the game! Not if its my Mexico team playing! If possible, I will wake up at whatever time the game is on and watch it! I have been up at 2 am before for a game! :)  That my friends is dedication! I also enjoy watching the game in a Spanish network instead of English if possible... I enjoy the commentators so much more! All I want to hear tomorrow is "Gooooooooooooooool de Mexico"! I have high hopes for this Mexico team and hope the team can get their act together! 

So please friends! I hope you get to watch at least one or two games of the World Cup and get caught in the excitement like the rest of the world! I know most of the games are early but turn it on the Spanish channel. I promise you will not be disappointed! As for me, I will be up bright and early tomorrow making some migas (yum yum) and cheering on Mexico! 

Which teams are your favorite? Which team do you think will win?


No comments:

Post a Comment