Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Turtle Races

So a couple of weeks ago a friend and soon to be co-worker, Katherine, sent me a text to ask if I wanted to go out to see turtle races at Little Woodrows...

My first glance at the text was oh fun Little Woodrows! It's a fun bar that's all over town that has a pretty laid back atmosphere which would be perfect for a Thursday evening! Then my second thought was turtle races?!?! Katherine is from Louisiana so I thought maybe it was a crazy LSU way so I asked her what happened at a turtle race and was she serious about the turtles?!

She then proceeded to let me know she thought it was a crazy Texas pass time since she was just as surprised about the turtle races but another soon to be co-worker had invited us to join... So we both decided that we needed to investigate this further and it was a crazy Houston thing (since we are both new to the town)!

A couple of hours later we arrived to the most packed Little Woodrows I have ever seen! We found Erik, our friend/co-worker, and he explained the turtle races to us. Every hour they host several round of the turtle races.. each turtle has a number, a name, and even a bio! There is a "bucket babe" who releases the turtles to race. The way the turtle wins is the first one to reach the end of the black circle. Finally, whoever wins several rounds (I think) then wins a beer! 

Sweet!! So the new round of races finally came up and we stood in line to choose our turtle number. This line was LONG! I was not too excited about this but Erik told us it moved fast and not to worry.. OMG he was right! The line moved so quick.. I barely had time to look at the bios when I just reached for paper #3 and realizing I had chosen Left-Eye! GO LEFT-EYE!

We then tried to get a good spot so we could watch the race... a couple of minutes later I was pushed back by girls with heels that would hurt my feet! (It was a Thursday summer night in Houston.. my outfit consisted of  cute shorts and sandals.. apparently I should have came in heels!) 

Anyways the races began..and..

All the turtles are bunched up because they were just released from the upside down bucket.


Everyone starts cheering for their particular turtle.. as the turtles start "racing"

Some turtles are scared (aka #3 MY turtle) and others are about to win by reaching the end of the circle!

I realize these pictures make the whole thing seem a bit silly (and it was) but overall it was kind of fun! I fully intend to go back and hopefully win! I will choose a turtle with the name of a live artist etc.. not one that has passed away.. Left-Eye... you failed me! (My turtle never left the red thing... NEVER!)

After the turtle races finished, a friend of ours had gained A LOT of free coupons for a bar that was around the corner (We were in mid-town) so we decided that we should enjoy a couple of free drinks since most of us lost at the turtle races.. The bar was fairly uneventful and we only were able to enjoy one free drink (darn coupon limits!) but THEN.. Katherine came back with news that the bathroom had a vending machine flat iron machine...

WHAT?! Yes.. Houston can be odd.. I mean I know its humid and such but a vending machine flat iron machine?! Don't worry I investigated and took pics... 


Hmm.. Ew..

It was at this point that I realized... Houston.. you are full of surprises! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment